How to Meet Yoga Alliance Requirements for RYT (Registered Yoga Teacher) 200 Hour Certification
This 200-hour program is recognized by Yoga Alliance as a REGISTERED 200-HOUR YOGA SCHOOL and offers you a unique opportunity to make a deep commitment to learning more about yourself. We create a safe haven: a nurturing place to engage in open minded self-exploration. Alchemy of Yoga is devoted to offering you an atmosphere in which freedom of expression, fun, creativity, and passion for life are “totally” encouraged! This program covers the foundations of the 8 limbed path of Yoga and believes in yoga as a life-long truthful celebration of ourselves and our world.
• Techniques (100 Contact Hours/15 Non Contact Hours): Includes asanas, pranayamas and meditation. These hours include both training in the techniques and the practice of them.
• Teaching Methodology (25 Contact Hours/6 Non Contact Hours): Principles of demonstration, observation, assisting/correcting, instruction, teaching styles, qualities of a teacher, and the student’s process of learning.
• Anatomy & Physiology (14 Contact Hours/6 Non Contact Hours): We will incorporate awareness of physical and subtle anatomy throughout training.
• Philosophy, Ethics, & Lifestyle (20 Contact Hours/10 Non Contact Hours): Study of Yoga Philosophy (Yamas, Niyamas), Yoga Scriptures (Yoga Sutras), ethics for yoga teachers, and living the life of the yoga.
• Practicum (10 Contact Hours): Includes 5 hours of observing and 5 hours of assisting in classes taught by other teachers.
• Electives & Independent Study (10 Contact Hours/5 Non Contact Hours): These hours will include assigned reading or other homework including a sacred study project, unsupervised study/meditation groups, classes, workshops, and a mandatory community service offering of 5 hours of Karma Yoga Student Teaching.
1. Observations: Complete four hours of observation including: 1) Observe Silvia teaching a one-hour yoga class, 2) Observe a sunrise, 3) Observe a sunset, 4), Observe thoughts that arise during silent breakfast. To receive credit for these observations, please write a brief report detailing your observations and reflections (1-2 paragraphs each).
2. Assistant Teaching: Complete one hour of assistant teaching with Silvia and one hour of assistant teaching with a fellow trainee. To receive credit for assistant teaching, please write a brief report detailing your experience (1-2 paragraphs each).
3. Sacred Study Project: Write a report on the chakra(s) or dosha(s) of your choice. You have complete creative freedom in this self-study. The intention is that you dive deeper into the chakra system or the practices of Ayurveda. At minimum, please submit 2-3 pages of personal reflection, but you are encouraged to take the direction that inspires you most.
4. Asana Sheets: Create a photo diary of the following 10 fundamental poses: Downward Dog, Warrior 1, Warrior 2, Utkatasana, Pyramid, Pigeon, Ardha Matsyendrasana, Plank or Side Plank, Upward Dog or Cobra, Bridge or Wheel. In addition to a personal photo that embodies your personal alchemy, please include a brief list of purposes, benefits, modifications, and cues.
5. Final Exam: The exam is distributed via e-mail part-way through teacher training. It is open-book, open-friend, open-Google, and open-heart.
6. Teaching Video: Please submit a 30-minute video of you teaching an original yoga class. The video can either feature students or you teaching alone.
7. Attendance: 180 contact hours are required.
8. Attitude: As a requirement for certification, each trainee commits to a positive attitude of ahimsa, offering loving kindness and patience to all beings.
9. Alignment: Conscious relationships and ethics in line with Yoga Alliance, please refer to the YA Code of Conduct found here.
How to Submit Your Work: Please create a separate document for each practicum requirement — e.g., all observations are in one document, all assistant teaching reflections are in one document, etc. Please title each document with Your Name: Assignment — e.g., Sarah Erter: Observations.
E-mail all assignments to Silvia (email@example.com) and Sarah (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Submission Guidelines: For each teacher trainee, it takes a different amount of time to complete the program post classroom sessions. Everybody has their own yoga, which Alchemy of Yoga respects and honors. To maximize optimal learning and reinforcement, we recommend that practicum materials are completed within six months of completing teacher training. If you are unable to meet practicum requirements within the suggested timeline, please reach out to email@example.com to design a timeline that best fits your yoga.