- Where We Stay
- Getting There
- What to Pack
- Helpful Hints
- Your Guides
- Favorite Photos
Some Facts to Help with Your Travel
Airports in Costa Rica
Transfers & Shuttles
Flying to/from Nosara
Blue Spirit Group Shuttle Reservations
Costa Rica Hotels
Travel Documents to Bring
What You Need to Bring With You
The two international airports in Costa Rica are: Liberia International Airport (LIR) and San Jose International Airport (SJO). Both airports have frequent flights to and from all over the United States and Canada.
We recommend flying into Liberia, which has been recently expanded with increased numbers of flights from the US and Canada. It is only a two-hour scenic drive from Blue Spirit Costa Rica, and has become a destination of many non-stop flights from several US cities (New York, Miami, Atlanta, Denver, and Houston).
Please place your reservation for the Blue Spirit Costa Rica shuttle ground transportation.
Flying to San Jose is also an option as sometimes flights from the US, Canada, or other parts of the world are less expensive or more direct than flying into Liberia. Getting to Blue Spirit from San Jose by ground transportation however is more costly and can take 4 ½ hours.
An alternative option is to take a 40-minute short domestic flight from/to San Jose to/from the local Nosara Airport (only a 20-minute drive from Blue Spirit). Please contact Blue Spirit about arranging flights from San Jose to Nosara.
Each departing passenger must pay a $26 departure tax at either San Jose or Liberia airport before exiting Costa Rica. It can be paid in cash in US dollars, Costa Rican Colones or with a credit card.
Whether you choose to fly into Liberia (LIR) or San Jose (SJO), there are a variety of options available for your travel onwards to Blue Spirit.
Transfers & Shuttles
Transfer options between Liberia Airport and Blue Spirit
For all group shuttle services you will need to make advanced reservations.
Blue Spirit group shuttles run on arrival and departure days ONLY several times during the day from/to Liberia. It is a scenic two-hour drive. The cost is $55 per person each way, payable in cash or by credit card at Blue Spirit reception. Please complete and submit the SHUTTLE RESERVATION FORM as soon as you know your flight itinerary.
According to the arrival times of all major airlines we have grouped the shuttle pick ups between 12 p.m. and 4 p.m. for flights arriving at midday and early afternoon, and between 8 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. for all flights arriving in the evening. This means that if you have reserved a seat on a group shuttle, and your flight is arriving in any of these two mentioned time periods, a Blue Spirit group shuttle will be waiting for you outside of the Arrivals terminal.
For your departure from Blue Spirit we offer several group shuttle services each Saturday to Liberia Airport: 3:00 a.m., 4:00 a.m., 8:30 a.m., 9:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m., and 11:00 a.m
You should plan to be at the airport two hours before your flight’s departure. This means that if your home-bound flight leaves from Liberia i.e. at 8 a.m., you would leave with the group shuttle from Blue Spirit at 4 a.m. to arrive in Liberia at 6 a.m. (two hours before your scheduled flight).Individual transfer is available for guests, who are not arriving or departing on Saturdays or those who wish to travel more privately. We will gladly arrange for your pick up by our trusted drivers (one way: $140 one person, and $70 each for two people). The same rates apply from Blue Spirit to Liberia Airport. To book one of our drivers, visit the Shuttle Reservations page.
Rental Car: You may reserve your own rental car to drive from Liberia to Blue Spirit. However, a car is not needed during your stay with us. We recommend online bookings with toyotarent or natcar, as these car rental agencies allow one-way rentals for you to drop off your vehicle in Nosara. The cost of a one-day rental car with drop off in Nosara is usually around $100.
Transfer options between San Jose Airport and Blue Spirit
Blue Spirit does not run regular group shuttles from/to San Jose, guests have the option to either hire their own taxi for the 4.5 hours trip from the airport in San Jose to Blue Spirit in Nosara for approximately $240.
Blue Spirit also gladly arranges for one of the trusted drivers to pick you up at San Jose Airport (one way: $240 one person, $120 two people, $80 three or more people). The same rates apply from Blue Spirit to San Jose Airport.
Rental Car: You may reserve your own rental car to drive from San Jose to Blue Spirit. However, a car is not needed during your stay with us. We recommend online bookings with toyotarent or natcar as these car rental agencies allow one-way rentals for you to drop off your vehicle in Nosara. The cost of a one-day rental car with drop off in Nosara is usually $90 each way.
Back to top.
Flying to/from Nosara
You can also take a 40-minute flight from/to San Jose to/from the domestic Nosara Airport, which is only a 20-minute taxi ride from Blue Spirit. Taxis between Blue Spirit and Nosara Airport cost $20 one way. Please contact Blue Spirit to make this flight reservation. Flight schedules from San Jose to Nosara usually require that your international flight arrives in San Jose at noon at the latest in order to catch the last flight at 2 p.m. from San Jose to Nosara.
A safer alternative is to arrive the day before and stay overnight in San Jose in order to take a morning flight.
There are two airlines with daily flights to and from Nosara: Nature Air and Sansa Airlines. Both airlines can impose luggage restrictions. To avoid excess baggage fees at the airport read the information on their websites carefully.
We like to recommend Nature Air, as they have been proving to be more reliable regarding their schedule. It does require, however, that you take a 20-minute taxi ride from San Jose International Airport to the local Pavas Airport (taxi ride costs $20 OR with the Nature Air shuttle it’s $8 per person).
For home bound flights on either airline out of Nosara we recommend that you plan ample connection time and give yourself at least 4 hours to make your departing international flight. Directions to Blue Spirit Costa Rica from Airports:
Liberia International Airport to Blue Spirit (approximately 2 hours)
1. Exiting from Liberia International Airport turn right in direction to Santa Cruz and Nicoya. Following the paved highway, you will pass through different villages (i.e. Filadelfia, Belen, Rio Canas, Santa Cruz) until you reach after approximately 65 km/1 hour the outskirts of the town of Nicoya.
2. You will come to an intersection with a 4-way red flashing light and there will be signs there indicate a right turn into the town of Nicoya. Make that right turn and drive straight through the town of Nicoya, staying always on the main road, no turns. Drive slowly, as there are a lot of pedestrians in this bustling town.
3. As you leave Nicoya on the other side, continue South on the paved road in the direction of Samara. There will be some twists and turns as you pass through different villages, but you stay always on the paved main road.
4. After approximately 30 km you will see a large gas station on your left. There is also a hardware store and a little Soda Cafe for snacks and drinks. Stop here and get gas if needed – last chance on the way to Nosara.
5. Shortly after the gas station the paved road makes a sharp curve to the left. At the apex of that curve, you will notice a small dirt road turning off to the right, downhill. Take this dirt road – it’s the road to Garza, Guiones Beach, and Nosara. It is marked with several signs.
6. Stay on this dirt road for about 20 km. There are, once again, some turns and twists, but stay on the main road. There are also occasional signs that tell you how many kilometers you still have to go to reach Playa Garza, Guiones and Nosara.
7. You will pass through different villages, until you come to a T-intersection, turn right here in the direction to Playa Garza where you’ll soon meet the ocean on your left. Continue straight through the village and leave Garza behind in the direction of Playa Guiones and Nosara.
8. After approximately 300 meters you’ll see on your left a gate and the Blue Spirit Costa Rica sign (in blue and orange letters) – make a turn to the left, and follow the little winding road all the way to the parking lot and Main Building.
From San Jose International Airport to Blue Spirit (approximately 3.5 to 4 hours)
1. Leave San Jose International Airport follow the signs towards San Jose Escazu, stay on this road for about 10-15 minutes depending on the traffic. Turn right at the intersection, you will see a McDonalds on the far left-hand corner. This is Autopista del Sol or Highway 27.
2.Follow the signs to Caldera and Puntarenas (63.3 km). You will pass the Port of Caldera and once you get to Puntarenas Route 27 turns into Highway 1.
3.Leave Puerto Caldera and travel northeast toward Liberia and Limonal (84 km). After 28 km you will pass the little town of Esparza. Keep on going straight for 6 km, passing the first turn off to Puntarenas, the turn off to Puerto Caldera, and later the 2nd turn off to Puntarenas. Keep going straight for approximately 50 km until you reach the center of Limonal.
4.Leave Limonal to the West and travel toward the Puente de La Amistad (29 km) and Nicoya (63.5 km). Pass over the Puente de la Amistad (it’s a bridge), and continue for another 21 km until you come to a T-junction. Turn right at the “T” onto the road 21. Follow this road for 13 km and turn left toward the town of Nicoya. Enter Nicoya and drive straight through the town always staying on the “main road”, no turns. Drive slowly, as there are a lot of pedestrians in this bustling town.
5.As you leave Nicoya on the other side, continue South on the paved road in the direction of Samara. There will be some twists and turns as you pass through different villages, but you stay always on the paved main road.
6.After approximately 30 km you will see a large gas station on your left. There is also a hardware store and a little Soda Cafe for snacks and drinks. Stop here and get gas if needed – last chance on the way to Nosara.
7.Shortly after the gas station the paved road makes a sharp curve to the left. At the apex of that curve, you will notice a small dirt road turning off to the right, downhill. Take this dirt road – it’s the road to Garza, Guiones Beach, and Nosara. It is marked with several signs.
8. Stay on this dirt road for about 20 km. There are, once again, some turns and twists, but stay on the main road. There are also occasional signs that tell you how many kilometers you still have to go to reach Playa Garza, Guiones and Nosara.
9. You will pass through different villages, until you come to a T-intersection, turn right here in the direction to Playa Garza where you’ll soon meet the ocean on your left. Continue straight through the village and leave Garza behind in the direction of Playa Guiones and Nosara.
10. After approximately 300 meters you’ll see on your left a gate and the Blue Spirit Costa Rica sign (in blue and orange letters) – make a turn to the left, and follow the little winding road all the way to the parking lot and Main Building.
Back to top.
Blue Spirit Group Shuttle Reservation
Group Shuttles Are Available From/To Liberia (LIR). There are several shuttles to Blue Spirit from LIBERIA Airport. The cost is $50 per person, payable in cash or by credit card at Blue Spirit reception.
Please complete and submit the SHUTTLE RESERVATION FORM as soon as you know your flight itinerary.
** (Please ask if you need us to make individual arrangements for you for other arrival and departure dates. Different rates apply.)
It is a two-hour drive between Blue Spirit and LIBERIA Airport. You should plan to be at the airport 2 hours before your flight’s departure time.
Costa Rica Hotels
Staying Overnight in Liberia
Hilton Garden Inn Liberia Airport ****
Tel: +506-2690-8888 Fax: +506-2690-888
This five story hotel has 169 rooms that offer the latest in technology and ergonomic comfort.
5 minutes from Liberia International Airport
Hotel La Plazuela **
Tel: +506-667-8556; +506-667 9534; +506-667-9533
The rustic design of Hotel La Plazuela reflects traditional construction styles. It has 16 rooms in a standard double or deluxe double, a large swimming pool, while the hotel restaurant serves typical Costa Rican dishes.
15 minutes from Liberia International Airport
Hotel Boyeros **
tel: +506-2666-0722; + 506-2666-0809
A friendly hotel with 70 spacious rooms and conference center.
15 minutes from Liberia International Airport
Staying Overnight San Jose
Doubletree Cariari San Jose ****
Toll free from US or Canada: 1-888-535-8832 or 1-800-948-3770
Tel: +506-2239-0022 Fax: +506-2239-2803
Built in a colonial hacienda style the resort hotel Cariari has 220 rooms and meets all the needs of modern traveling with an old world ambiance.
5 minutes from SJO Airport
Hampton Inn San Jose Airport***
Hampton Inn Costa Rica, part of the Hilton hotel family, is a modern style hotel.
5 minutes from SJO Airport
Trapp Family Country Inn ***
US tel: +1-305-712-5634; US fax: +1-815-377-3909
Costa Rica fax: +506- 2460 6796
The colonial style Trapp Family Country offers eight finely furnished rooms with a balcony or terrace overlooking the gardens and pool area. The windows are sound proofed to give customers the utmost rest and privacy.
Free airport shuttle, 1 mile from SJO Airport
Hotel Robledal ** ½*
Toll free from US or Canada: +1-812-962-4386
Costa Rica tel: +506-2438-3937; Fax: +506-2438-7074
Hotel Robledal is a clean, friendly, family operated hotel with peaceful surroundings.
It has 11 rooms on two floors. English spoken.
3 miles from SJO Airport
Back to top.
What do I do if my flight is delayed?
If you are still in the US/Canada or Europe and miss a connecting flight or received notice that your flight’s departure to Costa Rica has been delayed, please call Blue Spirit’s US phone number: +1.646.833.3410 and we will re-arrange your shuttle pick up time. If you are already in the air and your arrival time is much later than scheduled, depending on how many passengers are already waiting in the van from previous flights, it is very possible the driver will wait for your late arrival. If you arrive late and your shuttle has already departed, you can take the next shuttle.
What do I do if I can’t find the driver or a Blue Spirit shuttle?
If you can’t find a Blue Spirit driver or shuttle please call our reception phone: 2656.8300 or 2656.8228 (these phone numbers can only be dialed from within Costa Rica).
We will assist you in either finding the driver or bringing you to Blue Spirit with a taxi. Please do NOT hire your own taxi before you have spoken to Blue Spirit Reception and have notified us about your change of plans
More FAQs from Blue Spirit.
Travel Documents to Blue Spirit, Costa Rica
Citizens of the US, Canada, and Panama require a passport whose expiration date is at least 6 months after your travel date. Identification such as a driver’s license or birth certificate are no longer valid for travel in Costa Rica. A valid passport allows Canadian, American, as well as most Latin American and European citizens to stay for up to 90 days.
Citizens of other countries may require a visa to enter Costa Rica. Before you go to Costa Rica, please make a copy of your passport, which you will need to carry with you at all times. You can leave your original passport in the safety box at Blue Spirit.